Sunday, March 27, 2016

Not sure where I'm going from here.

Okay, so getting pirated during the launch did have an effect on my sales. I don't know if it is what killed the book, but about 50 people downloaded the torrent, rather than buy my book that day. From what happened to my sales at that point, I suspect some of those would have been paid sales.

The circumstances that put the torrent link right below the Amazon link on Google surely did not help matters any.

The entire matter was rather frustrating and demoralizing, to put it bluntly. I am back to looking for consulting work once again. As for the next Portals book, I don't know. The plot is done and the first several chapters are finished, I may finish it up while looking for a contract, just have to see. It won't be edited, it may not even have a cover art piece, those things cost money and those are costs I have to lay out in advance. Maybe I should do a kickstarter to cover the cost of those? I don't know.

I already have a decent idea of how much the next POI book should make, by looking at the trends on sales from each book to the next. It should be enough to make it worthwhile, but it probably won't be enough to support me. Sadly I suck at marketing and promotion. If I was better at it, or knew more about it, I'd probably be able to sell a lot more. Book one in the Portals series really did do fantastic, but each book after that sold a little bit less, which is normal for a series. That's why really long series are very rare, because no matter how many people bought the first book, eventually very few people will keep buying. It's like a half-life.

I had left it open to write a sequel to 'The King of Las Vegas' originally. That will not be happening now, (unless sales inexplicably suddenly go through the roof). While the initial sales were very good, after the unexpected sales drop, it got kicked out of the Amazon promo system and still hasn't recovered. KU sales did continue to grow for a while, and are still good, but KU pays about half of regular royalties (in some countries it pays significantly less than that), and it's regular sales that appear to drive the ranking system, not KU. So I just can not afford to write a sequel. All future Hammer Commission books are on an indefinite hold now.

I have a shrean book that is more than halfway finished, I may finish it, I may not. I don't expect it to sell at all however, so if I do finish it, it won't be edited and it'll get a cheap cover, if any.

As for Portals going forward, I may still try to do some other stories in the universe, because I suspect everyone is getting tired of reading about Will. But it all depends on how the next one sells, if I do finish it. I have to admit to wanting to pull the one shrean book ('Lost Souls') put it out under a different author name, and see if it does any better. You know, dinging a book by an author you like because it isn't part of the series he's writing that you do like, does NOT encourage him to write more of that series. Quite the opposite in fact.

Two things encourage authors to write more of something: Sales, and positive reviews. And Sales is a very large part of that. Writing takes time, it takes a lot of time. I probably have close to a thousand hours in 'The King of Las Vegas', I'd hoped to make five grand over the life of that book, and have it bring in new readers to the Portals series and bring that up more as well. Right now I've made about a hundred dollars off of it (after expenses). Quite a break from expectations isn't it?

But, writing is like that. You don't know what people will like or won't like, I have been both blessed and cursed with the Portals series, blessed in that so many people have liked it. Cursed in that some people think anything I write will be like it, and if it isn't they're upset, or worse yet, they won't even look at something else because they don't like Portals.

The thing about Portals is, it isn't just about the worlds and the mytho's that William goes through. Oh, that's a part of it, a big part of it of course. But the real story is about William himself. When suddenly you've been handed tons of fame and power, what do you do? How does it affect you? How does it change you, and how will you grow as a man? Look at Ginger Baker, and look at Paul McCartney. (If you don't know who they are, go look them up). Both were very famous, both are still some what famous. Both have made millions. Yet one is still a madman, while the other one 'grew up'.

And to be honest, I can't say which of the two has really had a better life. They both took different paths and have gone different ways, and have made their mark on the world very distinctly. There isn't a drummer alive who doesn't know who Ginger Baker is (not if he's any good) but there are a lot of bass players who probably don't know anything about Paul McCartney.

So yeah, I'm a little down, but I'm not quite out. But for the writing thing? Right now I don't know what's going to happen with that. If you want to help, tell people about whichever book of mine was your favorite, and try to get them to read me.

Thanks,
-John

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:08 PM

    I think you took the Portals series as far as you can, you did your best. Thanks for the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read every book you've released and found many many hours of enjoyment in them. I recommend them to all my friends and consider anything you write a must read. I'll admit that the portals series is what drew me in initially, but the others stand on their own as excellent books (I especially enjoyed king of Las Vegas). I've done some contract e-book composition for a small publishing company so I have an idea of how much effort and thought goes into the writing process - I just want you to know that your efforts have been greatly appreciated and enjoyed! I think Portals has more to offer (completely disagreeing with the other comment), but even if you focused on your other series I'd keep reading. You have to do what pays the bills, but don't let the selfish actions of 50 plus jacka$$es discourage you from using your talents.

    P.s. Maybe release a portals omnibus/collection to boost sales?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matthew,
    I've thought about some sort of Omnibus, but the way Amazon pays out royalties it doesn't make financial sense in many cases. Anything I price over 9.99 takes a hit on royalties, as the rate is cut in half.

    So if I bundle the books, I start looking at issues with payout, royalty rates, etc. It starts to get complicated, and as the books are all selling still (though at a lower rate) there really isn't a benefit for me to do it. However, with my lowering of the price for the 1st book in the series, I could bundle the first three or four together and have it not lose me anything, but then the question becomes, will it attract extra sales? Or will it hurt the current rankings of the books already out there?

    It's like the whole issue of being exclusive to Amazon, versus 'going-wide' as they like to call it. By being exclusive, I get into KU, and I see a steady stream of KU sales that are still greater than what I saw from all other storefronts combined, back when I was selling 'wide'. Now that situation may have changed, and it may be time to take a few books to other stores for a while and see how they perform.

    But you never really know until you try it. Being an engineer I have spreadsheets on everything and I track sales pretty closely, reviewing them every few months. I just wish I had more marketing experience and knowledge. I often get people trying to tell me what I should do on some of the other forums, but it's pretty rare that one of those people are actually doing as well as I am, or are in the same market.

    It is, a tough business. And while in the shower today I remembered a scifi military space story I've always wanted to tell. (I get my best ideas in the shower, no idea why). I think I may end up doing it after book seven, just to see what happens.

    Again, the POI series will continue, as long as it sells. As I mentioned in an earlier post today, last month was a bit rough for me, as a year ago I lost my father unexpectedly, and I was three thousand miles away at the time. That led to a bit of an epic personal story over the next 48 hours, but as personal stories go, it's not of much interest to others. However, I was in a rather somber mood last month, and sometimes it only takes a few asshats to really drive you down.

    Thank you for your kind words, and I do very much appreciate your business and support. It really does mean a lot to me when people enjoy my work.

    ReplyDelete

Please try to keep the comments clean and civil.