Saturday, September 12, 2015

Nearing the Halfway Point

Well, the first POI book about Nikki is almost halfway done, normally I'd be hoping to wrap the first draft up next week, but next week is my one vacation a year (and it's not even a week long!) when I go to the Reno Air Races, from Thursday to Sunday. We used to go on Wednesday, but for some reason I don't recall, we stopped going on Wednesday a few years ago.

I may get some writing done back at the hotel, but I don't really want to count on it, I do very much want to have this book finished before the end of the month so I can start on POI #6 asap. I'd like to get #6 out around the end of October, but it may slip a little bit from that. The target is to have it out prior to Thanksgiving, but I'd like to beat that a bit.

I'm not sure how the story on Nikki is going to be received, I'm hoping people like it, because I'd like to write a few more stories about her, to show off some other aspects of the whole 'universe' as it were. I'm also debating writing a few short stories, about characters we know about, and perhaps a few you don't know about yet. There are some aspects I wanted to explore, that I haven't put on a storyline yet, so I just have to see what works out.

As for the Shrean stories, yes, they're not POI, they are written for a different genre, and have a bit of a different thrust. I wonder if I should have put them out under a pen name, especially as the main characters in the next one are all under twenty.

I am curious as to how my POI readers, in general, feel about the Hammer Commission, and if they'd be interested in any more stories there. I will eventually put a second one out (I've mentioned that elsewhere I believe) and I'm wondering if any of you will find that interesting.

As for POI, once #6 is out, I'm going to spend a little time thinking about how I'm going to approach the next one. #6 is going to wrap up one of the current arc, so moving forward from that I need to think of how I want to approach the following stories so people can jump right in, if they want to (I believe I've mentioned that before). I am curious as to what the rest of you think, would you rather see, 1) more stories of Will in the near future, 2) more stories of Will, in the far future (after he's moved on from Fel), 3) stories about a new protagonist, 4) stories about others you already know about.

Let me know, I'm curious.

-John

1 comment:

  1. Good question... I have a tendency to loose interest in long series because my suspension of disbelief gets slowly withered away by a constant string of story worthy events. So, sometime in the future is good, although going far in the future might taking it a step too far. For example, I am curious how Will would deal with the death of Rachel, his children or even the slow change of the culture of Hiland. Nothing stays the same forever, and if you life for centuries those things are sure to hurt. It certainly make me pity Will when he promises Rachel something he is going to do in a century or two...

    Regardless, I am also curious about what happens to Will in the last book. Wouldn't those circumstances also apply to his position in Hiland? After all, the whole world knows about him and his title Godslayer. Sounds like a step further than a typical Champion...

    ReplyDelete

Please try to keep the comments clean and civil.