Thursday, April 07, 2016

More Sex? & Does Sex Sell

Sometimes I think I should have put more sex in the Portals of Infinity series, as in explicit sex scenes. Because I wonder if I would have sold even more stories and gotten more of a following.

I wonder this for two reasons, the first being that I look at a few of my contemporaries who went that route and they have better sales numbers than me (about 20 percent to 30 percent better), the second being that I still get treated by the haters as if I actually HAD put explicit sex scenes in the books.

I think that's why I put more explicit sex scenes in 'The King of Las Vegas', after all, if you're going to be accused of it anyway, why not? And even those scenes have been dialed back from their original level, because I felt I went a little overboard in the first draft :-P

Just one of those things you wonder about sometimes.

(And no, I'm not going to change it, too late for that, the die is cast. Just wondering is all).

3 comments:

  1. I read fantasy, urban fantasy, and yes paranormal romance. The last has a lot of sex - with a significant amount of detail. That said, what I want is plot, character development, and nice dialog. So I will skip through the sex scenes to get back to the story. In both PoI and KLV, the sex was just right. Both MC have desires and are charismatic men who will take up the offers that come their way.

    As unrelated to the question - just wanted you to know that your books are appreciated, but completely understand your life comes first. Having food and shelter (and the ability to enjoy life) is important. I hope you continue writing - I've gotten all your books - but understand realities of being an author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind sex but only when it complements the plot. If it's just a sex scene that doesn't add value then yeah I start to skim them. I've never purchased a book for the sex but I have stopped buying a series for too much gratuitous sex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think King of Las Vegas was all that explicit... you can totally go a bit more in detail with sex scenes. It's doubtful that much or any of your demographic is children or adults buying for children. If you were writing absolutely adorable books like Mary Lowd's Otters in Space maybe then you'd have a child following, but as we're adults we can handle sex. Purity crusaders aren't your demographic either.

    Also, an unrelated bit of feedback-- love everything you've written except lost souls. Lost souls was decent, but not as engaging as everything else you've written.

    ReplyDelete

Please try to keep the comments clean and civil.