Saturday, September 23, 2017

It's Always Something, or the Difficulty of Making a Living in this Business

One of the problems with working in the Entertainment business, and trust me, writing is Entertainment. Is that it's always a moving target. People change, trends change, tastes change and what sells change. So dealing with that can be a headache at times, there's no doubt about that.

But when what you get paid for your work changes, well that ads a layer of complication that makes things even more frustrating at times.

You see, back when I started out I realized that in order to do 'okay' (and by 'okay' I mean make what I consider to be a decent living as a writer) I needed to sell an average of one hundred books a day. This was a daunting task for someone who felt lucky if they sold a hundred books in a month! But, I set out to achieve that goal, by trying to write stuff people would enjoy, and by increasing my 'catalog' of books, so I'd have a steady level of income off of that 'backlog'.

Which I do. With every new book I see a sales bump as I pick up a few new readers who work their way through my backlog, on top of the sales of the new book of course. And after several years of hard work I'm now to the spot where I actually do sell, on average, about one hundred books a day.

BUT

(and it's a big BUT, hence the size of it)

But Amazon came out with kindle unlimited and two thirds of my customers moved over to it. Add to that Amazon's dropping of the price per page that they pay, and I'm making a third of my normal sale price on those books (about a dollar). So, do the math: I'm making 1/3rd what I used to on 2/3rds of my sales. Which works about to about a fifty percent decrease in take home pay.

So now I need to aim for two hundred sales a day! If you think aiming for one hundred is a daunting task, aiming for twice that is even more so. Add in the fear that the rules of the game will change again if I get there (or should I say when I get there, always pays to think positive) and sometimes I wonder if I'm really in the right business. But this is why I've thought of ditching kindle unlimited, yes I get two-thirds of my sales through it, which is huge. But how many of those people would still buy my books if I wasn't in the program? Would it be enough that I'd make more money, or less? Also being in the KU program means my books climb up faster through the ranks because of all the borrows and page reads I get.

Yes, I've lost sleep over this, because making any changes that could lead to financial hardship are what you want to avoid as a writer. So honestly I think my only choice is to try and increase my sales. The only way to do that is to write more, and try new things (hence the new pen name and the new 'brand' - I can't afford to alienate any of my readers because I started writing stories with sex in them, which apparently is still a touchy subject for a lot of people, hell, a simple F-bomb in a book can lose you percentage points!)

And of course, as always, you'd think book companies would be interested in an author who sells over 30K books a year without an advertising budget. But you'd be wrong.

4 comments:

  1. I can say that I am a KU reader and would never have picked up the 1st PoI book. I am glad I did and have bought nearly all of your books that I have read once I finished in KU. Hope you continue with KU but if you need to change, you need to change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really don't want to leave KU, but if they keep dropping the payout per page, eventually I will be forced to.
      For now, my goal is to just try and sell more, a lot more.

      Delete
  2. I have read all your books via KU but have gone back and bought about half of them. As long as you keep the price $3.99 or less I'd still purchase them.
    Have you thought about upping the page count a bit on your books? That would help balance the per page vs per book profit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and I do plan on increasing the length a little. The reason why I've been writing around 70 to 90 thousand words in the POI series (it started around 55K) had to do with the market.
      People wouldn't buy long books.

      No one is sure why, but the data was all there. I suspect that it had to do with people still getting used to ebooks and not wanting to read that much electronic ink.

      But, that seems to be changing now, so I'm going to see about increasing the size of them. It's going to take a little doing, because I had to train myself to write shorter, now I gotta train to go back to writing longer.

      Delete

Please try to keep the comments clean and civil.