Monday, April 19, 2021

It's Weird Sometimes...

 ... how things develop. All of my writing, all of my writing, exists on a system drive on my network that doesn't even bear my real name. The folder for my writing is at the top, but it's the last folder in the directory, so I always have to scroll down quite a ways to get to it. 

Because Writing starts with a W, obviously.

Then, when you get into that directory, none of the folders (and there are several) has my real name on it. You have to know which one to click on, and then there are the project folders, some of which are obvious and some of which ... are not. You'd think after all these years and all these novels and shorts and novellas that I'd have an easier to navigate system.

But I guess it's exactly because of all the years involved, and there are a lot of them, that the system which evolved, which was never planned, is the one that I have. There are times I've thought of changing it, but then backups and all the rest of that would have to change as well (yes I have onsite and offsite backups that run daily/monthly/bi-yearly). Also changing it would probably end up with me getting lost and making mistakes for weeks on end, as I've been using this storage format for so long. Plus, if you don't know the layout, you're not going to find anything. So it does keep others out of my stuff, even though the number of people with access to my network these days it very small (unless they fly out here to visit).

So for now, I'm gonna keep it.

In a side note: The POI kickstarter - which ends on May 9th, is just a few dollars away from funding the fourth book for audio (which would be book 9 in the series). Once that gets funded, the order for audio starts at 5 and goes backwards, as I'd like to try and get those all re-recorded, so I've got one VA doing all of them. A LOT of people have told me that I had the price set way too low on the kickstarter. Perhaps they're right. It was my first one after all.

There probably will be a kickstarter for the next audiobook in Dan's Inferno sometime next month as I've already started talking with Jessica about getting it done. She's definitely very busy these days, and I'm one of the people who has a lot of stuff that I want her to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please try to keep the comments clean and civil.