Wednesday, March 20, 2024

A week later

Yes, the younger dog has noticed. He's been a little skittish and a bit more 'clingy' than usual. He also goes looking for King in the mornings still.

Knight is definitely smaller, at 80lbs (to us this is a 'small' dog) and he's a lot more skittish and not as brave as King. At 120+ lbs, King was big and not afraid of anything. Even when he could barely walk, he still was not afraid of anything outside. Knight however barks a lot, especially when he goes out at night, to 'scare' off anything he's afraid of I guess? (The property is fenced, so not like a lot can get in).

So now when I go outside, at certain times, I very much get 'puppy dogged' because he doesn't have King, who was a lot bigger, out there with him.

The spousal unit is looking at Great Danes. Knight is their dog (he's a GSD and they're all one person dogs) and for the most part, I think I'm done with pets now, so if we get another dog, it'll be theirs as well. Honestly I'm starting to think we probably should, because I think Knight just isn't dealing well with being the sole pet in the house now. Even my cat has died (about 3 years ago).

But, time will tell. I'm still getting over it, it'll be a while I'm sure. Getting motivated to work has been a bit tough this week, but such is life. The changes in my daily routine still throw me of course.

1 comment:

  1. I can understand the "done with pets now." My last cat died four years back, and for a long time I felt the same way. The bittersweet memories were still more bitter than sweet, and I wasn't ready to "replace" her.

    I'll probably hold off a while longer - I'll be retiring soon, and we're hoping to do a lot of travel and some home remodeling in the first couple of years. Not a good environment for a new pet.

    For now, I make do with enjoying my daughter's cats when we visit. But I've come to realize that I really miss having a cat around the house, and once things settle down I'm ready to risk my heart again. Or maybe not - though I'm pretty healthy, I'm old enough they might outlive me this time.

    Once the initial

    ReplyDelete

Please try to keep the comments clean and civil.